Browse by Topic
- About U-M
- Athletics & Recreation
- Health & Medicine
- Libraries & Museums
- Arts & Culture
- State & Community
U-M Internet Publishing Policies, Guidelines, & Instructions
Guidelines for Information Providers
- 5.1 Creating and Registering UM Internet Resources
- 5.2 Information and Resources for Web Site Creation
5.1 Creating and Registering UM Internet Resources
Required elements for resources linked to the institutional homepage
The homepage of unit or unit-sponsored resources should include:
- The name of the department, unit or project represented by the site.
At a minimum, this should include, the name, address, and e-mail address of the unit on the top level page.
- Date of creation or revision of the document or homepage.
- Title of the homepage, document, or document collection. On each page include a meaningful title in the html title field.
- Contact information for the individual who manages the site: phone number, address, and e-mail address.
- An e-mail address for inquiries about the homepage, document collection, or document.
- A link to the UM institutional homepage (this could be an icon or textual link such as:
The University of Michigan Gateway.
- On pages other than the top level page, include a "clickable" navigational aid (button or text) that takes the user back to that particular resource's top level page.
- Copyright designation (see Section 3.5)
Reviewing Gateway-linked resources
The Gateway webmaster is responsible for overseeing linkages of resources to the Gateway in accordance with the policies described herein.
Registering WWW Resources
The Gateway provides a mechanism for registering and describing U-M official information resources. See the registration form.
5.2 Information and Resources for Web Site Creation
Restricting Access to Web Resources
University faculty, staff, students, and groups can generate statistical information for their homepages via the facility found on the Log Generation page.