Browse by Topic
- About U-M
- Athletics & Recreation
- Health & Medicine
- Libraries & Museums
- Arts & Culture
- State & Community
How To Add Your Website to the Gateway
All websites that are linked to the U-M Gateway must meet the requirements outlined in the U-M Internet Publishing Policies, Guidelines, and Instructions. Please review these guidelines. Your site will be linked to the Gateway when it meets these requirements and the "Submission Form for U-M Gateway Registry" has been received.
The Gateway does not link to all websites at the University. So, you must first determine if your website is one that can be linked to the Gateway. This information is also available in more detail in 4.2 Registration of Gateway Resources of the U-M Internet Publishing Policies, Guidelines, and Instructions.
Websites that can be linked to the Gateway:
- Websites for the University's central and unit administrations (policies, official documents/procedures).
- Websites sponsored by an official unit or organization (a departmental homepage, a faculty member's collection of working papers that is sponsored by his/her unit, student organizations registered with the Office of Student Activities and Leadership).
Websites that cannot be linked to the Gateway:
- Websites linked from the U-M Gateway cannot be stored in personal IFS space (www-personal.umich.edu or www-personal.engin.umich.edu). If you have an officially sponsored website in your personal IFS space, refer to How to Create Your Own Home Page for information on getting the site into official IFS space.
- Personal homepages.
- External websites and websites for groups that don't have official standing in the University.
2. What elements must be on your website?
In order to be eligible to link off the Gateway, your website must have the elements listed below. (These elements are also listed in section 5.0 Guidelines for Information Providers of the U-M Internet Publishing Policies, Guidelines, and Instructions.)
- The name of the department, unit or project represented by the site (name, address, and e-mail address of the unit).
- Creation date or revision date.
- A title for the website. On each page, include a meaningful title in the HTML
- The website manager's phone number, address, and e-mail address.
- A link to the U-M homepage (http://www.umich.edu).
- A "clickable" navigational aid.
- Copyright designation.
3. Submitting your request
Before you send the Gateway Team your request:
- Make sure your website is not in personal IFS space. If you have an officially sponsored website in your personal IFS space, refer to How to Create Your Own Home Page for information on getting the site into official IFS space.
- You must supply a University account number and the name of an authorized signer (you will not be billed) to verify that your website is sponsored by an official unit within the University.
- Proceed to the Request to U-M Gateway page.
When you add your site to the U-M Gateway, you are responsible for following these rules:
- Inform the Gateway Team when you change information regarding your page.
- Abide by the highest standards of quality and responsibility.
- Ensure that content disseminated through a registered resource or the direct links from that resource comply with University policies and state and federal laws.
- Comply with all laws regarding copyright and intellectual property.
To update an existing listing on the U-M Gateway, visit the Request to U-M Gateway page.