This home has been quoted as Ann Arbor's most famous house. It has been compared to the original Temple of the Wingless Victory at Athens. The four front columns are frequently praised for their grace and perfect proportions. It was constructed in 1834 and has been occupied by some of Ann Arbor's most prominent residents. Judge Robert S. Wilson originally occupied the home until he accepted a career transfer in 1850. He then sold the home to John A. Welles. John's son Henry lived there until his death in 1860, a mere ten years later. Henry Welles was known and respected for his position as treasurer of the University from 1858-1860. Henry had four daughters. Their lavish weddings took place at the home. For one of the extravagant ceremonies wood-paneled ceilings were installed throughout the first floor. In 1892 the publisher George Wahr purchased the home. He and his family were displeased with the interior, particularly with the well located inside the house contributing to unsanitary conditions. The Wahr's built a new home within a block of this home and sold this one to the Sallade family. The Sallade family still resides in this mansion.