Two Hundred and Twentieth MeetingThe 220th Meeting of the American Oriental Society will be held Friday, March 12—Monday, March 15, 2010, in St. Louis, Missouri.
Hotel and Reservations: A block of conference-rate accommodations has been reserved at the St. Louis City Center Hotel, 400 South 14th Street, St. Louis, MO 63103.
Conference rates per night for rooms are $159 single or double; there is no Executive Level. The St. Louis City Center Hotel is a landmark hotel located in the heart of the downtown historic area of St. Louis. Built in 1929, this landmark building combines modern comforts with Midwestern charm and hospitality. The hotel is steps from the Metro Link/Light Rail system, linking downtown and attractions including the Gateway Arch, Busch Stadium, Riverboat Casinos, and Union Station.
You must make reservations directly with the hotel well in advance of the meeting, no later than February 19, 2010. Rates are in effect for March 10—15, 2010. The hotel has agreed to offer conference rates up to 2 days after the meeting depending upon availability. As you make reservations, identify yourself as an AOS member to qualify for the conference rate. After the cutoff date, any uncommitted rooms in the block we have reserved will be released for general sale, and additional reservation requests will be accepted if rooms are available and without the conference discount.
Reservations: Direct phone: 314-231-5007; Toll Free: 1-800-325-3535 Sheraton Hotels.
Transportation: St. Louis City Center Hotel is conveniently located off Highway 40/I-64 and near the MetroLink Station. It is just 20 minutes from St. Louis-Lambert International Airport. For driving directions, refer to the hotel's website: http://www.sheratonstlouiscitycenter.com/directions. We have arranged with American Airlines for discounted fares to St. Louis. Go to the American Airlines website (http://www.aa.com/) for flight reservations, and use the discount code: 5830AF. You may also phone 1-800-433-1790 and use the same code.All sessions will be held at the St. Louis City Center Hotel. The Annual Subscription Banquet will take place on Sunday evening, March 14, also at the hotel. The Program, which will be mailed to you in late January 2010, will provide information on other special activities and events to take place during the meeting.
Members of the Society are hereby invited to submit communications to be presented at the 220th Meeting. Please complete and return the enclosed Announcement of Communication form and an Abstract of the proposed paper to the Office of the Secretary BEFORE OCTOBER 15, 2009. No paper will be considered unless (a) an Abstract of it is submitted according to the guidelines set forth in the next paragraph, (b) the completed Pre-registration Form and Fee and your 2010 Dues Payment accompany the submitted Announcement and Abstract.
Abstracts of no more than 300 words should cover the following points: (a) the precise topic treated, (b) your exact contribution to the problem, (c) its relationship to previous scholarship on the topic, (d) specific conclusions. Abstracts should be typed or word-processor produced and submitted in duplicate. Please do not submit draft-quality printed abstracts, since these cannot be scanned efficiently for the production of the published Abstracts o fthe Meeting. Please also keep in mind that abstracts of papers accepted for presentation will appear in the published Abstracts in the way in which they have been submitted. It is impossible for this Office to edit them. Please transliterate non-Latin writing systems. Text submitted in non-Latin writing will be not appear in the printed abstracts.
Papers from non-members, except for those of visiting scholars invited to participate in special panels, cannot be considered because of the expense the Society bears in running the Annual Meeting. When inviting colleagues and students who are not AOS members to participate in the program, please inform them that they should apply for membership at the time they submit abstracts.
Please respond to the Call for Papers only if you plan to attend the Meeting. Failure to present a paper that has been accepted on the Program creates a very poor impression of the Society and is particularly discourteous to those members who may have travelled great distances just to hear certain communications.
All materials must to submitted by October 15, 2009, to the Office of the Secretary, American Oriental Society, Hatcher Graduate Library, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109-1205; telephone 734-647-4760.
Members who submit papers will be notified by mail of their inclusion on the Program soon after January 15, 2010. Sectional Committee Chairs, whose names are listed on the verso of the title page of the Journal, should be contacted directly only in the matter of organizing special panels. (Refer also to: http://www.umich.edu/~aos/frntmtr.htm#OFFICERS)
Submission of Abstracts and Meeting Forms
1. We prefer that you submit Abstracts in electronic format by E-MAIL; however, you must also submit paper copies in duplicate of the abstract and announcement of communication via ordinary post. (We need the paper copies of abstracts to restore formatting and other features, such as diacritics, in the printed abstracts distributed at the meeting. Please note: we very likely do not have the fonts that you use in your formatted abstract file; if you send an Adobe Acrobat PDF file or other file format, embed the fonts.) Send e-mail abstracts to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: AOS Abstract. Send the files either as plain text in the email message, or send formatted files as e-mail attachments. Please name the file as follows:YourlastnameFirstinitial.doc (or .pdf, .wpd, .txt, .rtf,etc.),e.g.,SmithJ.doc.
2. You may also submit materials via FAX between thehours of 18:00 and 08:00 Eastern Time, from October 1 through October 15, 2009, to 734-763-6743. (If you prefer this means, we ask, nevertheless, that you also transmit the abstract, if possible, in electronic format by e-mail or in print by post.)
3. You may also submit all materials by ordinary post.
4. DO NOT FORGET TO INCLUDE YOUR NAME AND AFFILIATION ON THE ABSTRACT.
We thank you for your anticipated participation and cooperation.
1. Call for Papers 2010 Annual Meeting (This file)