Do not disclose any salary, grants, contracts, or other external funding that you receive from or through the University of Michigan.
You have an outside interest, activity, or relationship to disclose if you, your spouse, domestic partner, or dependents have one or more of the following:
- Engaged in paid or unpaid outside activities or relationships related to my U-M institutional responsibilities. (Includes volunteer activities; excludes memberships in professional societies, unless paid for activity/travel or have a leadership role)
EXAMPLES: Consulted on company business; consulted for or provided service to a federal funding agency (excluding study sections or proposal review committees for NSF, NIH, etc.); spouse worked for a company that sponsors research; served on a scientific advisory board; served as a corporate officer or on a Board of Directors or Board of Trustees; etc.
- Held ownership in a company or business related to my U-M institutional responsibilities. (Includes equity, stock, or stock options)
EXAMPLES: Stock in a company that sponsors university research; an LLC or DBA; stock options in a UM vendor; etc.
- Payments related to optioned/licensed Intellectual Property, whether or not received through U-M. (Includes Royalties, Milestone, Option Fees, etc. Excludes book royalties)
- Received compensation, loans, other payment(s) or items of value related to my U-M
institutional responsibilities. (Excludes student loans)
EXAMPLES: A loan from a company that also sponsors research at UM; consulting fees from a drug company; etc.
- Travel expenses reimbursed to you from or paid directly by, the outside organization.
(Excludes travel paid for by a US Federal, state, or local government agency; an accredited domestic
non-profit Institution of higher education; an academic teaching hospital, medical center, or a research institute that is affiliated with an accredited domestic non-profit Institution of higher education; and travel paid for by a sponsored project/grant)
Disclosure of these travel expenses only required for the following:
- Individuals who have or expect funding from NIH or other agencies that follow the Public Health Services (PHS) FCOI guidelines are required to disclose travel that exceeds $5,000 from the same outside organization, in aggregate, within the last 12 months.
- Employees of the U-M Health System, College of Pharmacy, Life Sciences Institute, and Taubman College of Architecture & Urban Planning are required to disclose all travel of any amount other than the exceptions.
- Employees of the School of Dentistry or School of Kinesiology are required to disclose all travel that exceeds $5,000 from the same outside organization, in aggregate, within the last 12 months, other than the exceptions.
For definitions of terms associated with outside interest disclosure and conflicts of interest, see the M-Inform Glossary on the UMOR Research Ethics & Compliance website.