Co-founding the Alpha Rho
Chi Fraternity with the
Anthemios Chapter at the University of Illinois-Urbana,
the Iktinos Chapter was formally installed at the
University of Michigan on June 5, 1914.
Our Chapter is named after
Iktinos (or Iktious),
an Athenian architect of the fifth century B.C.
He was involved with Phidias, Kallikrates and others
assisting Pericles in the execution of great public works.
With Kallikrates, he designed the Parthenon,
the unrivaled culmination of Greek Architecture,
which was completed in 418 B.C.
Iktinos was also the architect of the beautiful temple
of Apollo Epicurius at Cassae, near Philagalia in Arcadia,
and the Shrine of Eleusis in which the mysteries were celebrated.
The Iktinos Chapter shares
its cadencey mark with Anthemios,
as we share the title of Founding Chapter.
The Three Prong Rake represents the first born.
To differentiate between the different schools,
the Iktinos Chapter Three Prong Rake is placed
at the sinister (left of wearer) location
while the Anthemios Chapter cadency mark is placed
in the dexter (right of wearer) position.
The Iktinos Chapter places the label
in the Second Quarter of the Crest
over the white Rose to designate
the feature that Iktinos contributed to the Coat of Arms.
Click here for what Iktinos does on campus!
Click on the Three Prong Rake to Return Home
All Rights Reserved