- Style has meaning.
- Navigation has meaning.
- People need to know:
- at a glance what sort of site this is
- at a glance where they are on the site
- which site this is
- Think about logos
- Think about tag lines
- Think about look-and-feel
- People don't like to scroll
- People don't like to read
- Consider readers v consulters v users
- Test usability by:
- having a friend try out the site
- watching people try out the site
- quizzing people before and/or after trying out the site
Net seach under "website usability," especially Jakob Nielsen's useit.com.
For sample usability testing script, see Steve Krug's example at http://www.sensible.com/.