In June 1918, alumnae who were visiting Martha Cook at commencement met and organized the original Martha Cook Alumnae Association.
In 1927, the Martha Cook Alumnae Association was reestablished. Formerly known as the "Martha Cook Alumnae Association of Detroit," the present MCAA serves as the "mother" chapter of the organization.
The MCAA is managed by a Board of Directors, which consists of a group of Alumnae volunteers who are actively involved in serving the Martha Cook Building while maintaining contact amongst the Alumnae members.
Various Board activities include awarding scholarships (including the Anne E. Shipman Stevens Scholarship) to current residents, sponsoring two Alumnae gatherings a year, and making various donations of monies and materials to the Martha Cook Building and its residents. We also publish a newsletter twice a year that is mailed to our alumnae. We have also established a broadcast e-mail listserv.
The MCAA has a worldwide membership exceeding 3,000 women.