Ray Fisher Stadium
After moving from Regents Field in the early 1900's, the Michigan baseball team played on the site where Yost Ice Arena currently stands. During this time, the layout of the stadium was changed many times to adjust to the wooden stands that were brought over from Ferry Field. When construction of this new fieldhouse began in 1921, the stadium was moved 150 feet west, replacing locker and shower facilities that had stood there since 1912.
Completed in 1923 under the Ferry Field name, wooden grandstands were added to the complex in 1948. In 1967, the ballpark was completely enclosed with the fence dimensions that remain today, 330 down the lines, 375 to the power alleys and 400 to dead center field. Also in 1967, the facility was dedicated to Ray Fisher, a Wolverine baseball coach for 38 seasons.
Steel stands replaced the wooden ones in 1973, and wooden bleachers were added down the baselines in 1983. A new scoreboard was added in right field 1986 and the latest changed to the stadium came in 1997, when the wooden bleachers were removed and the outfield fence was replaced.
Some unseen changes have also been made over the years, first with the addition of locker rooms underneath the stands in 1965. In 1991, coaches offices were also moved inside to join an area which now included a players' lounge, athletic training room, offices, a meeting room, and laundry facilities. Press facilities are located at the top of the stands behind home plate, while batting cages are available on the left side of the complex.
Ray Fisher Stadium Quick Facts
Capacity: 18,000 (1930), 3,000 (1948), 4,000 (1986)
Used by: Baseball (1923-present)
First Game: April 21, 1923 (Michigan 3, Ohio State 2 - 5 innings due to rain)
Fisher Stadium is located in the University's South Campus Athletic Department complex on South State Street in Ann Arbor. Parking is accessible at either the Schembechler Hall or Yost Ice Arena entrances off State Street. The facility is directly accessible from I-94 at the Ann Arbor-Saline exit #175, and can also be reached off the State Street exit #177, or Jackson Road exit #172.
Last updated: Sunday, 18-Jun-2000 19:10:40 EDT
Copyright © 2002 Regents of the University of Michigan
Athletic Department 1000 South State Street Ann Arbor MI 48109-2201
General Information (734) 647-BLUE (647-2583) Ticket Information (734) 764-0247