Nitaa Minikwe (Liking to Drink)
Last year a student struggled to overcome a problem and then wanted to think about that experience using Anishinaabemowin. In the end a lot was written, and the student has anonymously contributed the phrases he learned so that others can think about ways drinking can change a life and how healing can happen through language.
- Dekaashijig enji-nkweshkodaadwaad n'gii maajtaazhaa.
AA meetings I started to attend.
- Aapichigwa maanda ziinaagad wii nendamaa gaa ezhichigeyaanh.
It's hard to forget what I've done.
- N'gaa aanjimaajtaa maanda biimaadiziwin ji gweksidooyaanh.
I'm going to start all over again to put my life straight.
- Gaa'iin onjida maanda gaa bi ezhichigeyaanh.
I am sorry this is what I've done.
- Gaa'iin n'gii baamdosii miinwa gii naawchidiz.
I'm sorry for not listening and I lost myself.
- Noongwa dash n'waamdaan maanda gaa bi ezhichigeyaanh miinwaa n'mooshtoon.
Now I see what I did and I feel.
- Zaam wiiba gaaye ji kidiyaambaa gaawiin onjida n'gashe, miinwa gos ge giinwaa gikenmejig niwijkeiidig.
It's too early to say I'm sorry to my mother and my father and the ones I know and my friends.
- Maanda ekwa ingo-boonigag gaa bi zhaayaanh aapchigwa gii maanaadad.
This past year has been very ugly.
- Niin igo n'gii ezhichige maanda gaa enji-maanadag.
I did it myself, made the past a bad place.
- Gaa'iin n'gii nsostaazii maanda zaagidiwin ezhi nokimigag.
I didn't understand how love works.
- Miidash gii naawchtonaa miinwaa enendamo.
And I lost my mind.
- Niibinong maanda zagidwin gii nkweshkaan.
Last summer I met my first love.
- Miidash maanda e ni dagwagig mii gii maanadseyaang.
Then last Fall we broke up.
- Miidash gii maajtaa kchi minikweyaanh.
Then I started to really drink.
- Minikweing n'gii objikaazo maanda wii gaa anjwebinagwaa bimadzijig ge gii naadamawbaniig.
I used drinking to push people away who would have helped me.
- N'gii minikwe wii shkitooyaanh wii nibaayaanh.
I drank so I could sleep.
- N'gii minikwe wii bwaamwiiyaanh.
I drank not to cry.
- Oshme gaa zaagwaan g'bimaadziwin gego wiikidoo'in minikweyin objikaazyin.
Your life is more heavy when you use drink to hide things.
- N'gaa maajtaa ji maajii waamdamaa bimaadziwin.
I will start to see life.