For Your Information...
- This home page is best viewed and used with a browser such as Netscape 2.02 or a more recent version, and your computer should have a high-end graphics resolution capability and a wide screen.
- The taxonomy presented is not always up to the modern standard. Much of the original taxonomic work was done in the 1970's. Since this is a work in progress, we are working to constantly update it as time permits.
- The first set of measurements given on each species card refer to the first diatom image. In the species cards, measurements for length, width, and diameter are given in micrometers unless otherwise noted. Measurements per 10 micrometers are given for striae, costae, areolae, fibulae, keelpunctae, and punctae unless otherwise noted.
- All species card images are from the collection number noted unless otherwise specified. When the collection number is selected, information about the collection site will appear at the top of the page.
- When selecting a reference listed on a species card, the complete reference will appear at the top of the page. When selecting any other link on a species card, the result will appear at the top of the page. Select "Back" to return to the previous position on the species card; otherwise, select a button to leave the current species card.
- For each genus, taxa which have not been identified to the species level are treated as species incertae sedis and are given numerical designations.
- All diatom images are captured in transmitted light or bright field unless specified as: DIC=differential interference contrast; PC=phase contrast; DF=dark field; SEM=scanning electron micrograph; TEM=transmission electron micrograph.
- Foreign characters, letters with diacritical marks, and other symbols may not translate exactly. We will make amendments if possible.
- We wish to acknowledge permission from Diatom Research to include plates of SEM's from their journal in some of our species cards.