He came to Ann Arbor to earn his Masters in Civil Engineering and in 1951 and was offered a job teaching at the University of Michigan. He and Marie married that same year and decided to remain in Ann Arbor to raise their family. In 1968 he took a year's sabbatical in order to complete his course work for a PhD at Drexel University in Philadelphia and finished it in 1972. He was honored to become a full professor at Michigan in 1974. He taught in the Civil Engineering Department for over forty years, trying to retire numerous times, finally succeeding in 1995.
During his career, Professor Glysson taught and performed research on solid waste disposal and management, municipal engineering and water, wastes and solid wastes engineering. He was a consultant to the National Science Foundation, the World Health Organization, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and the Michigan Department of Health. He also spent one term as a commissioned officer in the U.S. Public Health Service assigned to the Land Protection Branch Office of Solid Wastes. He was recognized for teaching in 1970 by the student chapter of the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), and by the College of Engineering for Excellence in Faculty Service in 1992. In 1983 he was named Outstanding Civil Engineer of the Year by the Michigan Section of the ASCE. In 2002 he was awarded the prestigious George W. Fuller award by the Michigan Section of the American Water Works Association and in 2011 the Jack A. Borchardt award for service to his field.
Professor Glysson's career was known for his devotion to students. He served as faculty advisor to Michigan's chapter of Chi Epsilon for 30 years, being only the second faculty advisor of that chapter since its inception in 1949. He also served as the department program advisor for 21 years providing unprecedented continuity and quality to the undergraduate program in civil and environmental engineering. He received the inaugural CEEFA Faculty Award for excellence in teaching in 2009. One of the favorite positions Professor Glysson held was that of Director of Camp Davis, the U of M Engineering and Geology camp located in Jackson, Wyoming from 1960 - 1964. After retiring he continued to go to his office on north campus to stay in touch with colleagues, students and the happenings in his field. He was still serving on the Washtenaw County Board of Public Works at the time of his death. In addition to his devotion to his field, he also devoted many hours to Michigan sports, Downtown Kiwanis Club and the First Congregational Church of Ann Arbor. Together he and Marie were active in faculty events and enjoyed traveling the world together. He was heartbroken when Marie passed away in September.
Survivors include his sister, Evy (Bill) Pochal of Elmira, New York; four children, Ned (Jenni) Glysson of Ann Arbor, Carol (Jim) Sitlington of Steamboat Springs, Colorado, Joann (Denny) Kerr of Seattle, Washington, Leigh (Bob) Brougher of DeWitt, Michigan; eight grandchildren, Megan Sitlington (Mike Burleigh) of Denver, Colorado, Monica (Scott) Craven of Youngstown, Ohio, James Robert Sitlington IV (Laura) of Loveland, Colorado, Valerie (Trevor) Towery of Ann Arbor, Michigan, Riley and Brady Kerr of Seattle, Washington, Lear and Clarice Brougher of DeWitt, Michigan; and great-grandchildren, Bailey and Denali Craven and Troy Towery. A memorial service will be held at the First Congregational Church of Ann Arbor on Sunday, April 6 at 4:00pm. He and Marie will be interred at Arborcrest Cemetery in Ann Arbor. In lieu of flowers the family has requested donations be made to Glacier Hills Foundation.