Welcome Class of 2016!
The University of Michigan Naval ROTC conducts a short 3-5 day orientation training at the beginning of each school year to provide the incoming midshipmen with an introduction into NROTC and the military in general. The majority of this training will take place at Fort Custer, an Army National Guard Base in Battle Creek, MI.
During New Student Orientation, students are introduced to military customs and courtesies, organized physical fitness training and military life. Orientation is not military boot camp. Orientation is a short training period in which students complete administrative in-processing, receive uniforms and attend periods of instruction which will assist them in their transition into the Naval ROTC.
To assist you in assembling the items and paperwork necessary for your training and transition into the Naval ROTC, you should print out and follow the Required Action Checklist. A summary of the checklist is outlined below. Make sure to check back here continuously throughout the summer.
- Read the Welcome Letter from the Commanding Officer.
- Print out the Required Action Checklist and follow it.(Links on checklist are broken, all forms can be found in the Required Action Forms link.)
- Complete and mail to UMNROTC by 16 July, 2012; all the Required Action Forms.
- Bring the items from the Required Gear List with you on 26 Aug 2011.
- Read and adhere to Navy and Marine Corps:
If you have any questions, contact the New Student Orientation Advisor via email or at (734) 647-4584.
Be sure to complete the entire Required Action Checklist, including preparing physically for the PRT (Physical Readiness Test) and males need to get a military haircut while females learn to style your hair within regulations (you need not get a short haircut if you do not wish one).
NROTC New Student Orientation Dates: 26 Aug - 30 Aug.