[netatalk-admins] Atalk debugging/HPLJ5M default zones

Subject: [netatalk-admins] Atalk debugging/HPLJ5M default zones
From: Yuji Shinozaki (yuji@physics.unc.edu)
Date: Mon Jan 04 1999 - 13:06:00 EST

General questions:

Is there a way to examine netatalk-asun2.1.1's ZIT (zone information
table)?

What NBP debugging info can I get out of atalkd (and how)?

Is there detailed debugging info one can get to?

Is there a suggested Ethertalk packet analysis program (preferably UNIX
based) to aid in debugging?

Specific problem:

We have recently "isolated" a part of our Ethertalk network from the
campus network using Cabletron SecureFast technology on a central switch,
which is supposed to filter at the network layer (DDP), although I am
suspicious that it is actually filtering at the transport layer
(RTMP,AEP,ATP,NBP).

In this newly isolated network, we set up netatalk on a Sun to do seed
routing using a net range of 0-5 with two zones. However, we find that HP
LJ5M's have real trouble "adopting" the new zones, even after a "factory
hard reset". After a hard reset, the HPLJ5's do not adopt any of one of
the zones: the will printers report their zone as blank, and they will
appear in every zone. Even more mysteriously, they will eventually
re-adopt their *OLD* zone name (the default zone that they used on the
campus network before we "isolated" ourselves.) and the only way to make
them appear in ANY zone is to create a zone with same name as this old
zone(!).

I am suspicious that there is some incompatibility between the HPLJ5m
appletalk protocol stack and the netatalk atalkd (at least in regard to
ZIP). Otherwise why wouldn't they adopt the new default zones? If I
switch the same printers to a network behind a cisco router that we have
access to, they immediately adopt the default zone for the port on the
cisco -- no problems.

I am also suspicious that some NBP packets (specifically GetNetInfo and
GetNetInfoReply) are somewhow "leaking" through the SecureFast block on
the central switch that connects us to the rest of the network, but I need
the tools to verify/diagnose this.

Any help welcome.

yuji

----
Yuji Shinozaki		        Systems Administrator
yuji@physics.unc.edu	        Dept of Physics and Astronomy
http://www.physics.unc.edu      Univ. of North Carolina - CH
(919)962-7214 (voice)           CB 3255 Philips Hall
(919)962-0480 (fax)	        Chapel Hill, NC  27599