Re: [netatalk-admins] AS IP speeds

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] AS IP speeds
From: Paul Krohn (krohn@examiner.com)
Date: Thu Jan 07 1999 - 02:12:17 EST

On 1/6/99 4:28 PM, Yann Bizeul wrote:

>Here are my comparative stats for transfert rates :
>
>An Appleshare IP 6 G3/300 server 100BaseT full duplex :
>4,7 M/s upload
>3.4 M/s dowload
>
>My linux box Pentium II 333, 100 BaseT full duplex :
>3 M/s upload
>900 K/s download

I can think of a few things that might sway the results in favor of the
AppleShare IP 6 server.

1) identical file system - needn't do any fancy cr/lf stuff and so forth
2) powerpc/g3 at 300 MHz is most likely substantially faster that a
PII-333 - are both fast enough to saturate a 100 Mbit wire? i dunno - i
have no PII's and no 100 Mbit wire.
3) Apple has a whole project team working on optimized ethernet and scsi
drivers for _just_ that hardware. they claim something like a 30% speed
boost from the optimized drivers (in their bundle ...) compared to buying
all the parts separately. we have adrian - bless his heart. thinking of
adopting the pizzaware philosophy, adrian?
4) i've always noticed a huge drop in file copy performance on mac when
copying a large number of small files (documented below). it makes a big
difference what you copy. ever accidentally copied someone's netscape
cache directory over the network? yikes. and fonts seem to especially
take forever.

while we're at it, anyone else want to compare results?

file size: 42,022,212 bytes (Myth II demo installer)

copy from linux to mac
52s 808,119 bytes/sec
52s

copy from mac to linux
39s 1,037,585 bytes/sec
42s

2,849,963 bytes for 552 items (netatalk source code)

linux to mac
21s 139,022 bytes/sec
20s

mac to linux
17s 178,122 bytes/sec
15s

mac: umax S900/200, OS 8.5.1
linux: cyrix 200 (well 166, but they lie ...) kernel 2.0.36,
netatalk+asun2.1.0, 3com 3c509 isa ethernet card, adaptec 2940 scsi-2 card

Paul Krohn
San Francisco Examiner - Systems Department
110 Fifth Street
San Francisco, CA 94103
415-777-7884 krohn@examiner.com