Re: [netatalk-admins] AS IP speeds

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] AS IP speeds
From: Ephraim Franzzup (franzzup@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Jan 08 1999 - 07:00:55 EST

>Here are my comparative stats for transfert rates :
>
>An Appleshare IP 6 G3/300 server 100BaseT full duplex :
>4,7 M/s upload
>3.4 M/s dowload
>
>My linux box Pentium II 333, 100 BaseT full duplex :
>3 M/s upload
>900 K/s download
>
>How do u explain the difference ? Both are connected on a 100 BaseT
Full
>Duplex Switch
>The linux box has the latest netatalk+asun version...

What version of the client are you using? There are some performance
issues with some of the 3.7.x AppleShare Client versions when used
against certain IP servers. I think there is some info on this either
in the Apple Tech Info Library (til.info.apple.com) or in a Tech Note
from Xinet (makers of K-AShare, a commercial AsIP server for *nix).

You want to use at least 3.8. I have a Linux server here running a
somewhat dated version of netatalk/asun, and I get roughly 4 MB/s
read and 3 MB/s write for multimegabyte files. Note that this is not
an up-to-date machine, it has an Asus T2P4 motherboard, a Cyrix 6x86
PR233, and furthermore it is doing a software (!) RAID-5 over fast (not
Ultra) SCSI cards to four-year-old Fujitsu drives. So I don't believe
the comments that the I/O is your bottleneck... :-)

Good luck,
Chris Ferebee