[netatalk-admins] Net Boot (Was: AS IP speeds)

Subject: [netatalk-admins] Net Boot (Was: AS IP speeds)
From: Chris Irvine (chrisi@dhorse.com)
Date: Fri Jan 08 1999 - 11:58:51 EST

>> From: "Thomas Dorr" <ashiant@compsol.net>
>> To: <netatalk-admins@umich.edu>
>
>> Further off topic, I'm wondering if it's possible to boot something like an
>> Imac using Netatalk, and bootp. (into macos)
>
> It's actually DHCP, not bootp. If you can boot an iMac to your ASIP
> server, just take a look at the DHCP transactions. Fairly trivial,
> only three or four Apple-specific requests. You'd need to emulate
> that, which should be no problem, and you'd need to get copies of iMac
> system software, which may be different for netbooting.

I don't think this will work. I have been drilling Apple about the file
services in OS X server. A quick look shows that net booted imacs are not
booting from an AFP volume. It defiantly has something to do with NetInfo,
a technology NEXT. This could be a combination of meta information in the
DHCP reply that point a client to a NFS server, but that is just a first
guess. There is a NFSd in the OS X server. I hope to learn more about
this today.
Chris Irvine mail: chrisi@dhorse.com
Information Systems Technician web: http://www.dhorse.com/
Dark Horse Comics, Inc. phone: 503-652-8815 x367
PGP Fingerprint:
2D99 60B9 9868 3CF6 2E04 82C2 57E0 8B44 E322 090C