Re: [netatalk-admins] AS IP speeds

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] AS IP speeds
From: Hannu Krosing (hannu@trust.ee)
Date: Fri Jan 08 1999 - 05:27:44 EST

Bob Atkins wrote:

> System: Compaq Proliant 5500
> 200MHz PentPro
> 256M RAM
> Triple UltraWide SCSI
> RAID using 2 UltraWide SCSI
> 100M Ethernet (full duplex)
>
> OS: Solaris 2.6 Kernel patch level 09
> netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.1

> On a quiet server an 8MB file will take 16-17 seconds to copy from a
> G3/300 Mac 8.1 system using AppleshareIP (not Appletalk/Ethertalk). The
> *same* file can be transfered to the same system fromthe same client
> using Fetch in 3 seconds! The performance degradation with netatalk is
> suprising. Granted netatalk is faster than CAP but its still *way*
> slower than it could be.
>
> The worst part of this is that a WinNT box running Appleshare using
> Appletalk/Ethertalk can perform the same transfer of the 8MB file in
> about 6-8 seconds! Less than half the time and using a less efficient
> protocol, Appletalk. Its embarrassing to say the least.
>
> Is there anything that can be done to improve netatalk performance?
> The pressure is on to switch over to - ugh - NT :(

On my similar Dell/linux 2.0.34 box we get speeds about 5-8 MB/sec

And after switching from NT we don't even use the second processor,
the reason being that the linux driver had some compatibility problems
with
dells onboard 3com card in SMP mode.

I'll revisit the dual-processor issule once linux 2.2 final is out.

from your numbers it looks like you are not using IP on your Solaris
server.

Hannu