Re: [netatalk-admins] AS IP speeds

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] AS IP speeds
From: Sak Wathanasin (sw@nan.co.uk)
Date: Tue Jan 12 1999 - 19:02:16 EST

> almost always significantly outperforms a singletasking design in
> IO-bound operation, because the more fine-grained structure allows the
> operating system better adjust to run-time enviroment.

Granted all that, but are you really saying that pre-emptive MT is THE deciding
factor in networking performance? That there is still 68K code in the MacOS
(esp in the file system) doesn't matter one iota? In any case, not having
pre-emp MT doesn't mean everything has to be one monolithic task. I would guess
that the guts of (say) "Fetch" would be implemented as a set of chained async
I/O calls.

> doesn't even factor in the general bloatedness of MacOS

No one here is disputing this...

> operation. And MacOS doesn't dedicate the CPU to a particular job
> anyway - in fact, it's cooperative task switch is many times more

Only if the appl gives up the CPU; I'm not seriously suggesting that anyone do
this, but it is entirely possible to have an FTP client that just hogs the CPU.

Sak Wathanasin
Network Analysis Limited
178 Wainbody Ave South, Coventry CV3 6BX, UK

Internet: sw@nan.co.uk
Phone: (+44) 1203 419996 Fax: (+44) 1203 690690