[netatalk-admins] Question about routing...

Subject: [netatalk-admins] Question about routing...
From: Bob Krzaczek (rskpci@cis.rit.edu)
Date: Tue Jan 12 1999 - 22:00:30 EST

I've seen this asked previously on the list without an answer; I'm asking
it again, with a couple of alternative questions, in the hopes that
someone may have some useful advice.

First off, though, I'd like to report wild success with setting up a small
Solaris box as a print spooler (backended with LPRng) for several
networks. The increase in *perceived* speed to the user's workstation is
tremendous! (Papd pretty much accepts data as fast as it can, so from the
Mac's point of view, the job "completes" much faster than before, when we
printed directly to the devices).

My problem is this: the aforementioned Solaris box has several ethernets.
One of those is a "martian network" (192.168) that I don't want any
traffic routed into or out of. This network contains devices that I don't
want visible to any client machine. As has been mentioned before, netatalk
acts as a router between all interfaces present on the local machine; this
is a problem.

My first thought is: Is there a way I've overlooked to tell Netatalk *not*
to automatically route everywhere? If not, any suggestions on attacking
atalkd before I dive in?

My second thought: Is there a way I can name a Zone such that it won't
appear in the scroll list for AppleTalk Zones in a Mac's Chooser? That is,
is there a character, perhaps intentionally "bad" or "poor", that will
cause a Mac to disregard an entry? (Yes, I know this is bad juju.)

My third thought: What can I read to learn how printer "capturing" works
(a la NT)? I've suffered with it in the past, found lots of references
about it, but not found any that actually *describe* what is going on. I
might potentially add a capture utility (and extend papd accordingly) to
the existing netatalk suite, if this works out.

As you might guess, the goal here is to prevent certain devices from being
available to your average Mac user. I'm front-ending these devices with
Unix machines, mostly to do access control and reporting. (For example,
one type of dye-sub printer costs approx. $2.50 per page to run; leaving
this device wide open and accessible in a networked academic campus-wide
environment can become a bit of a problem.)

Thanks in advance for any feedback; I will summarize and post back to the
list whatever information anyone shares with me.

--
// Bob Krzaczek, RIT Center for Imaging Science, <krz@cis.rit.edu>