[netatalk-admins] netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.1 vs. MacOS 8.5.x Finder

Subject: [netatalk-admins] netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.1 vs. MacOS 8.5.x Finder
From: Fred Condo (fcondo@csuchico.edu)
Date: Tue Jan 19 1999 - 13:14:18 EST

I'm running netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.1, and under FreeBSD 2.2.7 and now
2.2.8-STABLE, it works well under system 8.0 and 8.1, and with
everything but Finder copies under 8.5.x.

Applications have no problem reading or writing the server (as via an
Open... or Save As... command), but the 8.5.x Finder, whether reading
or writing the server, posts a progress bar that is half-full, then
locks up. The Finder can't be force-quit, requiring the Mac to be
rebooted via reset. The file on the receiving end is created, but
always has length zero.

This happens under TCP connections as well as under AppleTalk. The
TCP problem occurs on two different G3 Macs, one Ethernet-connected,
and the other modem-connected. The results are identical in either
case. I can test the AppleTalk connection only over a modem, due to
the way our campus network is organized. It, too, fails the same way.

I have followed this list, but haven't seen any similar reports. I
nonetheless hope that someone on this list might recognize these
symptoms and recommend a fix.

--
Fred Condo . FCondo@CSUChico.edu . 530/898-5367
CSU, Chico . Communication Design Department