RE: [netatalk-admins] Yet more ...

Subject: RE: [netatalk-admins] Yet more ...
From: Marc Matteo (MMatteo@sacbee.com)
Date: Wed Jan 20 1999 - 16:39:59 EST

> 3. I attempted first to install the 1.4beta w/asun. No go (could not
>compile, failed at link time looking for some files,

I'd like to know what those errors were. Netatalk generally compiles just
fine.

>and so I turnedd to
>a compiled binary from the netatalk HOWTO web site).

Which binary? Most of the RPMS for Netatalk have had problems with various
setups. I think there are some that are "good" but I've lost track of them.

>I put various conf files in /etc, etc., and tried to start
>atalkd. Got the following error:
>
>Appletalk not up! Child exited with 1.

Does the binary want to see the conf files there? A default build of
Netatalk installs it's conf files into /usr/local/atalk/etc but most of the
RPMS use /etc/atalk. Netatalk will create it's own conf file (albeit a bare
one) automatically.

>4. So, I deleted all vestiges of 1.4 and downloaded, patched, and
>successfully compiled 1.3.3 (from the Umich source archives).

Yuck.

>10. Same Appletalk not up! error.

That error is the one I get when the module isn't loaded. Yeah, I know you
don't have module support, but are you sure you've compiled appletalk
support properly?

>All suggestions and comments are very welcome.

There's hopefully something... :)

Marc