[netatalk-admins] One Server, 2 Volumes and a big file

Subject: [netatalk-admins] One Server, 2 Volumes and a big file
From: Harald Roelle (harald@roelle.i3w.com)
Date: Thu Jan 21 1999 - 09:47:55 EST

Right now I encountered the following problem:

I´ve got one server which exports two volumes.

From the Finder I tried to copy a big file (about 600M) from one volume to
the other one.

What happened:
After the ´copy´ window opened the mac was blocked (no progress bar in the
window, watch cursor active).
Looking at my Linux box I saw that copying was in progress. It seemed to be
done locally, disk to disk (according to the speed the file grew without
heavy network load). But after some time my mac complained, that the
connection to the server was lost and therefore the copy can´t be done.

I guess netatalk does the copy locally (which is fine) but ´forgets´ to
tell the mac what´s going on. (a very high level view)

I don´t know very much about AFP in detail, but I wonder if it´s possible
at all to have such ´progress notifications´.

My setup:
Linux 20.0.36 + netatalk+asun on a K6/200
MacOS D1-8.1 (German) on a PowerBook G3 Series
10 MBit/s Ethernet

Has anyone seen this before? Any fixes?

Thanks in advance,
Harry