Re: [netatalk-admins] Netatalk and OPI

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] Netatalk and OPI
From: Hans-Guenter Weigand (hgweigand@wiesbaden.netsurf.de)
Date: Sun Jan 24 1999 - 17:54:47 EST

Lee Blevins <dgraph@tiac.net> wrote:

> In my environment, we don't use low res images most of the time. Most
> documents come to us with high res in place. Quark allows the insertion
> of OPI comments by selecting "omit tiff and eps" at print time.
>
> To anyone considering programming an opi server I'd suggest a couple of
> things:
>
> 1) Don't bother dealing with separations. The trend is to go to in-rip
> seps and most high end equipment requires composite postscript.

Separation made by XPress and other programs is needed in most cases
today, since most RIPs I know of have in-RIP separation only as an
announced future feature. And many color prints are made using Pantone
colors.

> 2) Don't bother with low res generation. Many proxy files are very
> specific to their opi server. There is a product call "Sampler" that is
> freely distributed by Imation that creates a low res file that uses
> standard OPI comments. Since a low res file is not required for OPI
> (most apps support opi comments at print time) it could bog down the
> process with work that's not needed.

IMHO the downsampling of image files is a key feature of OPI. Only the
scanner operator and the Photoshop wizards deal with big files, but the
majority of people does text and layout, and therefore work with the
low-res files only. This is the only way to deal with these masses of
data we have in prepress environments in an ethernet network.

-hgw