Re: [netatalk-admins] Idea for Net printing but i need help....

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] Idea for Net printing but i need help....
From: Albert Max Lai (amlai@watsun.cc.columbia.edu)
Date: Sun Jan 24 1999 - 16:33:48 EST

On Sun, 24 Jan 1999, ian reinhart geiser wrote:

> On Sat, 23 Jan 1999, Albert Max Lai wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 23 Jan 1999, ian reinhart geiser wrote:
> >
> > > I can do this all from the command line in a shell script i just do
> > > not know how to do this from the LPR! I am sooo close it is driving me
> >
> > Have you tried in your papd.conf doing a pipe into a shell script, such as
> >
> > printer_name:\
> > :pr=|shell_script etc....
> >
> > In your shell script you could have standard input written to a file
> > inside of a spool directory and then subsequently processed by your shell
> > script.
> >
> am i getting PS in?

Yes, you are getting PS in.

> if so how do i know who is sending it?

I have tried something similar. You can look for a "%%For: " tag. The
"%%For: " tag in the past has given the name of the Mac that sent the job,
but I have heard that Apple may remove that in the future for some
security reasons, but it is currently in the PS. I don't know of any way
to tell who the user is though.

--
Albert Lai <amlai@columbia.edu>           1018D East Campus
Residential Computer Consultant           411 W. 116th St.