Re: [netatalk-admins] Netatalk and OPI

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] Netatalk and OPI
From: Peter Gutowski (peterg@powervue.com)
Date: Mon Jan 25 1999 - 10:44:04 EST

         Reply to: Re: [netatalk-admins] Netatalk and OPI
dgraph wrote:
> > As for in-RIP separations (and also to induce some discussion on RIP
> > capabilities) our Harlequin RIPs do support in-RIP separation, verifiedly
> > with CMYK, but according to the docs also spot colors, since about three
> > years. But let me ask once again to check (I never tried really hard this
> > myself): does Quark support spot colors in it's composite output?
> > The two most common systems seen in high end commercial printing are
> Rampage and Scitex. Both systems allow spot colors with composite eps
> input. >
When printing in composite [color] Quark does not emit postscript from which the Scitex systems can extra spot colors. Scitex does provide a freebie Quark Xtension called "Spot Colors" that adds the necessary ps code so that the Scitex RIPs can pull out the spot colors. This extension can be downloaded from:

ftp://www.scitex.com/files/mac/xtspotcolors201.hqx

(also see: http://www.scitex.com/supp/software/downloads.htm )

Scitex does not have a reputation of doing things that are applicable to other imagesetting platforms, so I would doubt (but can't say for sure) that the extension will work in other PS environments. Not surprizingly to me anyway, but that same Xtension causes PS errors if you accidently use it when *not* requesting to do spot color seps, (i.e. CMYK output).

Peter Gutowski

Power-Vue Graphics
peterg@powervue.com
http://www.powervue.com/~peterg << NEWLY UPDATED Jan 6, 1999 !!