Re: [netatalk-admins] Netatalk and OPI

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] Netatalk and OPI
From: Lee Blevins (dgraph@tiac.net)
Date: Wed Jan 27 1999 - 22:10:14 EST

> >But we use almost exclusively (more than 98%) Photoshop EPS and
> >Illustrator EPS files, where a lo-res file is unnecessary,
>
> My experience is the same. What does everyone think. Does an EPS
> only OPI do the job (i.e., no TIFF or Scitex CT support is not really
> a problem)?

I'm in. This way a proxy file can be use and tiffs will be included in
high res form.

Once again, I suggest using the Sampler app becuase it's freely
distributable and uses standard "%ALD..." comments.

The project that would be a considerable effort would be to create at
daemon that monitors a directory and creates these low res eps files
with the standard OPI comments.

But it need not be tied to the basic OPI substitution engine.

In the long run tiffs are not that difficult. Parameters have to be set
for what incarnations of tiffs would be supported. I find it interesting
that Photoshop represented it's tiff spec as 4.2 but used CMYK which
wasn't supported untill 5.0 spec. The trick to them is a beefy tag
interpreter and simply ignore the tags you don't support. This is what
photoshop does.