Re: [netatalk-admins] Change Passwords

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] Change Passwords
From: PayPC System Mail Subscriber (spammail@quanta.paypc.com)
Date: Thu Jan 28 1999 - 04:23:14 EST

ian reinhart geiser said in [netatalk-admins] Change Passwords at 28/Jan/1999
(Thu) 17:25:09.

> can you change user passwords through the chooser under ANY version of
> Netatalk?

With the netatalk-asun versions, it's been functional for a long time now.
(Via both appletalk and afp/tcp connections). So the answer is an
unqualified yes.

Be sure you enable the -setpassword option on the share. I also highly
recommend you use the 2-way randnum exchange method of
passwords/authentication, which makes use of the "look-aside" ~/.passwd files
in each user's home directory (rather than using the /etc/passwd or
/etc/shadow [normal unix account] password. In fact, because of this
plaintext-stored .passwd file, I *FORCE* my users to keep their afp passwords
different from their unix ones.

=R=