[netatalk-admins] help me find the afpd code... ?

Subject: [netatalk-admins] help me find the afpd code... ?
From: Brian Reid (reid@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us)
Date: Sat Jan 30 1999 - 13:49:04 EST

Last week members of this list helped me understand the problem with
the AppleDouble file's magic number suddenly mattering when I switched
to a recent asun version of netatalk from the old groty UMich version.

The summary, per my understanding, is that there was a bug in older
netatalks that created AD files with bad magic numbers, but older
versions also did not check those magic numbers, so it wasn't a big
problem. New afpd needs a good magic number, and checks for it.

I absolutely have to find the place in 1.4b2+asun2.1.1 where afpd is
checking the magic number and disable the check, or I am completely
#&#^$ed. I can't go back to older netatalk and attempts to read some of
the older files cause the share to dismount from the desktop.

I have a million files to move. I don't mind if 5% of them move over as
unusable junk, but I can't live with having afpd abort every time I try
to open a file with a bad magic number.

I've been studying afpd source code all morning and I absolutely cannot
find the place where it is checking magic number. In fact, the only
place I can find where any code is checking magic numbers is in
megatron, which is not part of afpd.

Any ideas or help?

Brian Reid