[netatalk-admins] converting a million files

Subject: [netatalk-admins] converting a million files
From: Brian Reid (reid@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us)
Date: Sat Feb 06 1999 - 21:04:08 EST

Nobody was able to answer my question about how I could disable the
AD magic number check in asun2.1.* so that I could safely copy a million
files from the old server to the new server inside Unix.

So I saw that I had no alternative but to copy them by drag and drop on
the Mac desktop, and let each version of netatalk deal with its own
AppleDouble file issues.

Our school's old server has 5 big SCSI disks of various sizes with 1.03
million files in 4000 user logins. (It is a DECstation 5000/33 running
Ultrix and netatalk 1.4b2. The new server is a fast PC with 2 SCSI
controllers, each controlling 3 8 GB Wide Ultra disks, and running
1.4b2+asun2.1.1.

I found 16 iMacs in one room. MacOS 8.5 has the glorious ability to run
more than one copy operation at a time, so I mounted both old and new
server on each of the 16 iMacs and did 3 simultaneous copies on each
iMac. It pounded the Ethernet something terrible. Is pounding,
actually. I started this running last night around 5pm; it has now been
going for 24 hours and has finished 660,000 of the files and copied 3.3
GB of space. It appears that it will finish about 3pm tomorrow, barring
something awful like a power failure.

Tonight I actually liked the feature by which MacOS will start reading
you an alert box if you don't answer it quickly.

Brian Reid