Re: [netatalk-admins] Progress ... of a sort! LONG (but please read anyway)

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] Progress ... of a sort! LONG (but please read anyway)
From: Randy Newman (ran@connect.net)
Date: Tue Feb 23 1999 - 00:21:23 EST

> 3. I cannot login to the Linux box via AppleShare from the Macs. When I
> click on AppleShare the volume shows up in the right side window (I have
> no zones, however, though I don't think that that's too bizarre since I
> have no Appletalk router going, even though I did seed a zonename). Nor
> can I login via AppleShareIP. Using both ways I get an invalid password
> error. I know that Slackware 3.6 installs a system using shadow
> passwords and I know that I compiled netatalk with shadow password
> support enabled. I can successfully login to two different accounts
> from a Linux login prompt.

This sounds like a permission problem. What are the permissions of the dir
your serving?
Try first to use a nouser-nogroup share and see if you can get that to work.

> 4. I cannot establish either telnet or ftp sessions from the Macs after
> I manually configure TCP/IP for our little home network (IP=10.0.0.x,
> NetMask=255.0.0.0, no gateway). I CAN ping both directions (from Linux
> to Mac and from Mac to Linux). When I had this box at work on a network
> with values delivered via dhcp, I could establish ftp and telnet
> sessions to this box from my office Mac. So far as I can tell, the only
> change is in the IP/Netmask/Gateway/Nameserver values.

Can you tell me what the output of two command are ? __ ifconfig and netstat
-nr . The're output would help to figure out your problem. Sounds like your
ip address and or routing isn't right. But you can ping so I may be all wet.
I found if you use dhcp in the past your scripts may be looking for
something still after you configure your system for a static address. So
take a look at them also.