[netatalk-admins] Solaris 2.7 and netatalk

Subject: [netatalk-admins] Solaris 2.7 and netatalk
From: Robert Edwards (Robert.Edwards@anu.edu.au)
Date: Wed Feb 24 1999 - 06:00:13 EST

I have a Sun UltraSPARC 170 running Solaris 2.7 (or Solaris 7) and
netatalk-981109. I am having a couple of problems.

Firstly, the machine is a dual-home machine which routes IP between
two networks. I was hoping that it would also route AppleTalk (given
that this is what happens on a Linux machine I have in a similar
situation). However, that doesn't seem to be happening.

Running "nbplkup" on the Solaris 2.7 machine shows all machines on both
interfaces, with sensible (non-clashing) network numbers for each
interface. However, "nbplkup" on another machine on one of the interfaces
only shows other machines on that side of the router.

Do I have to do something specifically to turn on the AppleTalk
routing functionality?

Secondly, I have printing set up more or less as per the README.SOLARIS
file and it seems to work except that sometimes when two postscript
files are queued from a remote host to an Apple LaserWriter 630 (old,
I know) the print queue "hangs" for about 10 minutes between jobs. "lpq"
reports the first job still being printed for up to 10 minutes after
the actual printout has appeared from the printer, before the next job
starts being processed.

Anyone know what could be going on here?

Cheers,

Bob Edwards,

Computer and Robotics Engineer, e-mail: bob@faceng.anu.edu.au
Department of Engineering, phone: (+61) 2 6249 4090
Australian National University, fax: (+61) 2 6249 0506
Canberra, AUSTRALIA, 0200 mobile: (+61) 0416 166 761
      WWW: http://spigot.anu.edu.au/people/bob/home.html