[netatalk-admins] Permission mapping

Subject: [netatalk-admins] Permission mapping
From: Espen H. Koht (ehk20@cus.cam.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Feb 24 1999 - 13:49:33 EST

Please forgive my ignoriance, but I'm having some problems getting
permissions to work out the way I want them on my new netatalk-based
server.

My problem is as follows. I have two users sharing a volume. One is called
A and the other B. They are both members of the tutorial group. In
AppleShare terms I want all files and directories created on this volume
to be fully read/writable by both users.

In a folder called "test folder" on this volume I have two word files
created by each of the users:

-rw-rw---- 1 A tutorial 19456 Feb 24 18:32 test
-rw-rw---- 1 B tutorial 19456 Feb 24 18:37 test 2

The enclosing folder permissions are:
drwxrws--- 2 A tutorial 1024 Feb 24 18:37 test folder

Naively I thought this would work just fine, but what actually happens is
that when A tries to open B's file or vice versa, Word opens it as a
read-only.

Since the users have AFP access only, and AFP doesn't have file
permissions, I obviously need to make sure these files get created with
the right permissions. So my question is;
a) What should the permisions be? -rwxrwx---?
b) How do I make sure new files and directories get these permissions?

Espen