[netatalk-admins] HELP: Using encrypted passwords (RAND2NUM)

Subject: [netatalk-admins] HELP: Using encrypted passwords (RAND2NUM)
From: Patrick Gibson (patrick@firstweb.com)
Date: Fri Feb 26 1999 - 14:21:45 EST

I have installed netatalk with DES support and I would like to use encrypted
logins with the -RAND2NUM option. When I go to login to the server from my
Mac, I get the following error in my /var/log/messages file:

Feb 26 11:15:30 obsidian afpd[27856]: Failed to open /home/patrick/.passwd

Do I have to create some sort of special password file? How come it does
just use /etc/passwd?

I've search high and low on the net for an answer to the question, but all I
found was other people asking the same question. In any of the replies I've
read to other people's questions, no one has ever mentioned anything about
the ~/.passwd file. How do I create it? Is there any documentation on this?
I can't find anything in the man pages that remotely relates to this.

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks,

Patrick

--[ iMac therefore I am ]------------------+