Re: [netatalk-admins] PAP end-of-job timeouts?

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] PAP end-of-job timeouts?
From: Robert Edwards (Robert.Edwards@anu.edu.au)
Date: Thu Mar 04 1999 - 15:47:26 EST

Wesley,

Thanks for your suggestion of adding "-E" to the pap command in
lp2pap.sh. Alas, this hasn't helped the problem at all. The print
queue still "hangs" after certain (larger) Postscript jobs are sent.
I am now noticing this happening on the HP printer connected via
the Axil print server.

I note that the "-E" option is not listed in the man page for pap.
Are there any other unlisted options to pap that I could/should be
looking at?

Anyone else got any ideas about this one?

One more note about the jobs causing the problem (they used to print
out fine under CAP 6.0): they are usually larger Postscript files
generally created from LaTeX / dvips and may include embedded Postscript
images in them (although I am not sure about this last one). They
generally print fine, but then "hang" the Solaris 2.7 print queue. Once
the active job on the queue is cleared (using lprm), the rest of the
jobs waiting in the queue print with no problems at all (provided they
aren't also large Postscript files as above). Macs also can't print to
the printer during this time, indicating a protocol block between the
printer and the netatalk box.

Cheers,

Bob Edwards,

Computer and Robotics Engineer, e-mail: bob@faceng.anu.edu.au
Department of Engineering, phone: (+61) 2 6249 4090
Australian National University, fax: (+61) 2 6249 0506
Canberra, AUSTRALIA, 0200 mobile: (+61) 0416 166 761
      WWW: http://spigot.anu.edu.au/people/bob/home.html