Re: [netatalk-admins] Netatalk box disappearing from network

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] Netatalk box disappearing from network
From: Andras Kadinger (bandit@freeside.elte.hu)
Date: Wed Mar 10 1999 - 18:52:30 EST

Hello Kevin,

On Wed, 10 Mar 1999, Kevin Myer wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm having a bit of a problem with my netatalk server that I'm not sure if
> it is network related, netatalk related or linux related.

For me, it seems to be MacOS related.

> 5200 or 5260 Power Macs
> Asante Comm SLot I ethernet cards
> System 7.5.5 with classic Appletalk (no Appleshare IP, yet..)

The first time I tried netatalk (back in '94 or '95) I had the same random
timeouts, sometimes the Macs even locked up. After upgrading MacOS to
AFAIK 7.6.1 (with Open Transport) these problems went away.

At my current company we also have a couple of Macs with Systems as old as
7.6.1, updated with a TCP/IP capable AppleShare Client, and they work
well with netatalk (Linux 2.0.37pre-something on Intel, Tulip cards).

If it's not your network card in the server, try to upgrade MacOS, and
then look for the latest compatible Open Transport and AppleShare Client
installers on Apple's website.

Hope, this helps,

Regards,
Andras Kadinger