Re: [netatalk-admins] Subtle file corruption

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] Subtle file corruption
From: Bob Krzaczek (rskpci@cis.rit.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 18 1999 - 20:20:51 EST

On Thu, 18 Mar 1999, Yuji Shinozaki wrote:
; I have run into a strange problem copying files from a netatalk volume:

You didn't mention this, so I'll ask the easy question first ;-) If you've
already been through all this, my apologies.

Have you disabled CRLF translation for those files?

If not, there are two ways to go about it.

The easy way is to rebuild afpd with CRLF *undefined*. Check your Makefile
in SRCDIR/etc/afpd and kill the "-DCRLF". Follow this up with a "make
clean all". Reinstall "afpd", restart, and see if the problem goes away.
(Bear in mind, those files are likely still corrupted from the previous
afpd, so you should start with all new and "fresh" files).

The alternative is to determine the creator and type information for all
those files, and hope that "type" isn't being set to "TEXT". If it is, all
bets are off and you better go back to the easy solution. If their types
are all something other than "TEXT", check your "AppleVolumes.system" file
and ensure that default translation of CRLF data in unknown type files by
afpd is disabled.

There are still pitfalls with the second method (including the possibility
for this error to jump up and bite you again in the future), that make me
really really urge you to just recompile with CRLF disabled unless you
really really need it. ;-) (And besides, if even one of those corrupted
files is marked "TEXT", you're hosed anyway, since afpd is going to do its
honest best to treat it like a real text file, which will probably lead to
the corruption you're seeing).

(btw: just ask an admin of a netatalk box that serves Quark users how she
feels about CRLF translation. ;-)

Good luck,

// bob

--