Re: [netatalk-admins] the big step...

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] the big step...
From: Rick Zeman (rzeman@his.com)
Date: Sun Mar 21 1999 - 08:53:23 EST

On 3/21/99 9:17 AM, Eddie Irvine <eirvine@tpgi.com.au> said:

>Hi, Rick.
>
>I think you need to look at setting the "sticky bit" on any
>"global" directory - that is, any directory that is mounted
>by everyone - I assume you mean a directory called "/mac".
>man chmod.

Correct. I actually just added another filesystem with /mac being the
mountpoint with perms of 667. man chmod doesn't mention anything about a
sticky bit. I do see on my home Network Trash Folder perms of
drwx--Srwx. I don't grok the capital S--nor do I see any mention of THAT
in man. Could that be the elusive sticky bit?

>But, if users are just mounting their "home" directory,
>(and every user has their own user name and
>home directory - the usual unix way of doing things,)
>unless I've missed something over the last three years
>what you want is really the default.'

Sorry for the confusion. Home directory mounting, perms, and trash work
perfectly.

I just haven't managed to comprehend unix perms yet; they're too alien
from what I know (Netware).