Re: [netatalk-admins] atalk for Digital Unix 4.0

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] atalk for Digital Unix 4.0
From: Jeremy J. Reichman (jjracc@osfmail.isc.rit.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 23 1999 - 15:37:48 EST

Having run through this same process but not reached any conclusion,
yet, I'll offer my thoughts:

- There's not a whole lot available. There are packages for almost any
other flavor of UNIX, but few for OSF1/Digital UNIX/Compaq Tru64 UNIX
(whatever you want to call it these days).

- HELIOS' EtherShare seems to be the frontrunner, IMHO. It's commercial
and the main drawback (from my tech support department's point of view)
is its requirement of a kernel module. This requirement may only be
necessary for AppleTalk, not AFP over TCP/IP, based on speculation
related to other products.

- There is no Digital UNIX port of netatalk, and I haven't looked into
CAP much (again because of my tech support department).

- Even EtherShare may have problems integrating with samba; the
recommendation seems to be to use EtherShare for both Mac and Windows
file sharing (there's a companion Windows server product).

- I haven't seen much info about netatalk integrating with samba.

- There is a samba port for Digital UNIX, as I understand. (Thus, our
tech support is pushing us to use DAVE for our Macs. Not a trivial
installation, maintenance, or training task.)

- I've "suggested" (much more strongly than that) that Apple include SMB
networking with future system releases since testing Mac OS 7.6. Of
course, in the upcoming Mac OS X era, this may be a moot point -- Mac OS
X will probably support a port samba for the client access side.

- EtherShare is aimed at the prepress crowd, although some universities
apparently run it. There's no specific support for some popular things
in higher ed, like DCE authentication.

- My university would love to have a netatalk port for Digital UNIX.

--
Jeremy J. Reichman
Interim HelpDesk Manager of Operations

Voice (716) 475-HELP (4357) TTY (716) 475-2810 Fax (716) 475-5306 World Wide Web <http://www.rit.edu/~jjracc/> Electronic mail <mailto:jjracc@rit.edu>

For computer-related questions at RIT, make the ISC HelpDesk your first point of contact; it's available by: - voice at (716) 475-HELP (4357) - TTY at (716) 475-2810 - electronic mail to "services@rit.edu" - World Wide Web at <http://www.rit.edu/isc/> - walk-up in the Frank E. Gannett Bldg (Room 1113, right off the main lobby).