Re: [netatalk-admins] PPD files on server

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] PPD files on server
From: Stefan Bethke (stefan@promo.de)
Date: Mon Mar 29 1999 - 09:51:58 EST

"Jeremy J. Reichman" <jjracc@osfmail.isc.rit.edu> wrote:

> Note: Since I originally wrote this, I have discovered some issues with
> some printers and some types of queues. The one that has affected me
> personally is printing to an HP LaserJet 5SiNX through a queue served by
> VMS. There, I get an extra page with an error message on it, although
> documents otherwise print fine (assuming that extra page doesn't get
> bundled in with the collating and duplexing I do). As far as we have
> been able to track down, it's an emulation switching issue. It doesn't
> happen with other OSes and their queues or most other printers. But it's
> an example of the craziness that can happen with LPR that you probably
> wouldn't see over AppleTalk.

Just as a small note to this problem:
Some printers (like some HP models) have features which can only be set or
modified (i. e. resolution) by their "native" control language, but not
with the usual PostScript commands. Adobe has amended the PPD format
specifically for this purpose, so a printer driver can include arbitrary
codes at the beginning of the job.

If some program in the path from printer driver to printer (i. e. psf) does
add PostScript code before the submitted job (which is perfectly legal in
terms of the DSCs), the printer sees the %!PS-Adobe line at the start, and
switches to PostScript interpretation. However, if the original job
contains some PCL controls, the interpreter will choke on these (they would
have been interpreted correctly had they been at the start of the job).

The only solution in this case is to modify the printer's PPD to remove any
such non-PostScript commands. Look for *JCL lines in the PPD and remove
them.

Stefan

--
Stefan Bethke
Promo Datentechnik      |  Tel. +49-40-851744-18