[netatalk-admins] mac to linux file transfer

Subject: [netatalk-admins] mac to linux file transfer
From: fred orispaa (freddie@sci.fi)
Date: Tue Apr 06 1999 - 03:12:23 EDT

I need to be able to send files from my mac to my linux box (connected
via netatalk). i can mount the linux drives to the mac and copy FROM them. i
cant copy TO them, because my linux partitions are completely full (nothing i
can do about that at the moment, getting a bigger hard drive later...anyway
i need to transfer several gigs), and dos partitions only have write
permission for root (chmod doesnt seem to let me change that, i suppose it
has something to do with them being dos partitions?).
i also tried setting up the mac as an ftp server, and ftping it from the pc
using root, which works, but for some reason transfers are shoddy at best. it
connects and starts up transfers, but will transfer about a meg, then pause
for
a minute or two, transfer another meg, pause, etc, until around 5 megs when
it
just times out. this is over 10mb ethernet, kernel 2.0.36, and system 7.5.1.
i just downloaded afpfs and will try that now but judging by what ive read
and heard it wont even compile, and even if it did, it wont work on a small
lan such as mine.
so:
1) how can i allow write permissions on my dos partitions for users other
than
root?
2) why does ftp choke like this on transfers and how can i fix it?