Re: [netatalk-admins] Symlink problems - please help

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] Symlink problems - please help
From: Derrick Miller (phuture@fred.net)
Date: Thu Apr 08 1999 - 01:31:59 EDT

> I've tried netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.4, MacOS 7.6.1 and Mac OS 8.5, with no
> effect.
>
> please don't call it that. asun2.1.4 doesn't exist yet.

er, oops. i only read your warning about that like 5 times. i actually
cut & pasted that from the directory name it untarred as. perhaps if you
named the directory pre-asun2.1.4 it might help to further alleviate
confusion. sorry - please don't hurt me.

> if you're willing to take the big plunge, i'll tell you how to convert
> to pre-asun2.2.0 and it's fixed id's. i'm going to stick a big warning
> around this because it means all your .AppleDouble files will need to
> get upgraded. in addition, i might decide to store some of the
> .AppleDouble info in one of the current database files. as a result, i
> don't want people using it extensively now as you might need to
> re-create the database file in the future.

I think this sounds like a good idea. The .AppleDouble files only contain
the resource fork, correct? If this is true, it should be much less of a
risk as far as data loss because none of the files have a resource fork
that matters. (.html, .jpeg, .gif)

So, sure, I'll go for it. Hopefully I'll even be able to provide some
useful feedback on it.

Thanks Adrian :)

- Derrick