[netatalk-admins] Solaris 2.6 Multicast

Subject: [netatalk-admins] Solaris 2.6 Multicast
From: John Barry (jbarry@eso.org)
Date: Fri Apr 16 1999 - 07:16:59 EDT

Hi,

I've been having a bizzare problem with netatalk, which I originaly put down to
the STREAMS kernel driver for Solaris. But having configured and complied every
version of netatalk I could lay my hands on, (from the umich's original 1.33 to
Adrian's latest bleeding edge ASIP release) all without success, I asked Grizz
to send me copy of his install, it works on his, so it must work on mine, right?

Wrong. Same error...

So I'm thinking, "it can't be the driver, it must be atalkd." So throwing
caution to the wind, I did a "make clean" on the distribution I got from Grizz
and proceed to hack the source.

By way of main.c in etc/atalkd I found my way to config.c, (the location of the
plumb() function that was causing main.c to abort at runtime) I played a hunch,
and changed:

strcpy( device, "/dev/");

in the plumb() funtion to:

strcpy( device, "/dev/le" );

This gave me the bizzare message "plumb: invalid device: /dev/lele" in
/var/adm/messages

So I changed plumb() again, this time to:

strcpy( device, "/dev/le0" );

Success! It sails through that part of the plumb() code and prints this to the
screen:

"Can't configure multicast."

So, does anyone know how to configure /dev/le0 for multicast on Solaris 2.6?
You can't do it with ifconfig, (according to the man page...)

Anyone?

later
jb

----