Re: [netatalk-admins] Massive dropped connections - any ideas?

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] Massive dropped connections - any ideas?
From: Jonathan Benson (tech@phoenixmags.com.au)
Date: Wed Apr 21 1999 - 20:19:42 EDT

Kevin Myer wrote:

> This is really troublesome to try and justify to the librarians and
> supervisors that Linux is a good path to take, when stacked side by side
> with NT (at least for the Services for Macs part), NT is far more stable.

As I think I already told you. Change the network card!!

I had the SAME sorts of problems with an Intel card. From what I've seen here
since you might be able to get it working by fiddling with some setting to do
with multicast support, but if you've got the money, just get a Tulip based
card and avoid all the hassles.

The multicast support on the Intel and 3Com cards is crap compared to that on
the Tulip based boards.

See:
http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/tulip.html

If you don't want to spend the money on one of these cards then at least try a
cheap NE2000 clone. I was running an ISA NE2000 clone for a while to prove
that the problem was the Intel card that had been in the box and it worked
perfectly (except for the obvious limitations of a cheap ISA NIC).

Regards

Jonathan

--
Jonathan Benson B.Eng. (Soft Sys Hon) <tech@phoenixmags.com.au>
Systems Administrator, Phoenix Magazines, Phone: +61 3 9696 7200