[netatalk-admins] how to send messages to Macs?

Subject: [netatalk-admins] how to send messages to Macs?
From: Osma Ahvenlampi (oa-lists@spray.fi)
Date: Tue May 04 1999 - 10:26:57 EDT

SMB/Samba has a feature which allows sending Windows machines on the
network a message that will appear as a popup window on the machine
(NET /SEND or smbclient -M). This is handy if you need to alert
Windows users of a file server going down, for instance (send a
message to every host listed by smbstatus).

Is there any similar feature in AppleTalk networks? If not by default,
then perhaps with extra software? I would like to be able to send a
message from the netatalk server to every Mac currently connected to
it (which are connected I can figure out from the active afpd
processes).

--
Osma Ahvenlampi