Re: [netatalk-admins] Linux Freezing...

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] Linux Freezing...
From: Wenchi Liao (wliao@midway.uchicago.edu)
Date: Mon May 10 1999 - 10:41:05 EDT

"Michael S. Reiling" wrote:
>I am not sure if this is the problem at all, but I recently installed
>RedHat 6.0 on a dual P-133 system. It ran netatalk and everything else
>fine using redhat 5.2...
>
>As soon as I migrate to a 2.2 kernel, the system will freeze. This
>happened under RH5.2 with 2.2.4 kernel and not RH 6.0 w/ a 2.2.5 kernel.
>
>Has the appletalk driver changed under the new kernel? This is really
>the only thing I can think of that might cause it to freeze. Recently
>we have had high appletalk traffic, so this is the only reason I am
>looking at the netatalk kernel driver.

Have you recompiled everything (netatalk related)? Are RH 6.0's
userland stuff (esp modules) being used? What does ``freeze'' mean? not
boot? boot, but can't load modules? boot, run, but kerneld dies when
atalkd begins?

One big difference between the kernel in redhat 5.2 and 6.0 is that SMP
is enabled by default in redhat 6.0. So, just changing the kernel isn't
enough.

WL