Re: [netatalk-admins] Re: Problems w/ FreeBSD 3.1 as seeding router?

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] Re: Problems w/ FreeBSD 3.1 as seeding router?
From: Douglas E. Wegscheid (wegscd@whirlpool.com)
Date: Wed May 12 1999 - 08:36:47 EDT

At 02:28 PM 5/11/1999 -0700, you wrote:
>okay. would it be possible for you to try another ethernet card to see
>if the ethernet driver is the problem? i know that dec tulip-based
>cards should be good.
>
>-a

That was it. After getting Adrian's note from yesterday ("usually a
multicast problem"), I was starting to wonder about the ethernet driver
myself (since netatalk works for scores of other people on 3.1-RELEASE, it
must be specific to my hardware or kernel). Recompiled atalkd -DDEBUG and
ran atalkd -d with the sniffer on the wire. None of the multicast packets
were getting through to atalkd. Switched to a 3C509 with the ep driver,
atalkd starting printing out the multicasts. It works now. Spent the rest
of the night cleaning up messes related to all the changes made for
debugging and network interface switching, undoing -router (I don't need it).

will be doing a FreeBSD bug report this weekend for the le driver, it
appears that the multicast support in the le driver for FreeBSD 3.1-RELEASE
is broken.

thanks to _everyone_ for their patient help. Icky problem.
-
Douglas E. Wegscheid
working for, but not expressing the position of, Whirlpool Corporation
wegscd@whirlpool.com
-
A wrong note played hesitatingly is a wrong note. A wrong note played with
conviction is interpretation.