Re: [netatalk-admins] reaching the Macs

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] reaching the Macs
From: Rich Lafferty (rich@alcor.concordia.ca)
Date: Sun May 16 1999 - 17:26:54 EDT

Jan, FYI, you're double-spacing. :-)

Quoting Jan CSERNOCH (jean@multigraph.com) from Sun, May 16, 1999 at 01:03:05PM +0200:
> Hi!
>
> Now I have some other questions. The /etc/atalk/config is not part of my
> version anymore. Did it disappear from the latest version or was it just
> left out. It doesn't seem to use it anymore.

Can't help you here -- my netatalk install is from Debian's package,
which moves things around a bit. I've got separate conf files for
afpd, atalkd, and papd, if that's of any help at all.

> Is there a way that I can copy files from the server to the Mac clients.
> I mean how can I reach the Macs from Linux?

Short answer: not with netatalk, which only provides server-side
functionality in terms of appleshare.

Longer answer: you can get afpfs, which is sort of the opposite of
netatalk and similar conceptually to nfs. Compile into your kernel
(but not a linux-2.2.x one, unless you're ready to go a-patching)
and you can mount appleshared volumes like any other FS. Or, you
can just use nfs; there's a free mac nfsd on HyperArchive.

afpfs: <http://thehamptons.comn/anders/netatalk/mirror/afpfs-1.0b2q2.tar.gz>

  -Rich

--
IITS/Computing Services  | "How should I know if it works? That's what