Re: [netatalk-admins] tape backup to a mac

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] tape backup to a mac
From: Bob Atkins (bob@cherokee.digilink.net)
Date: Mon May 17 1999 - 03:44:19 EDT

> Bruce Feist wrote:
>
> I'm with Danny on this one -- Retrospect on the Mac is an incredibly good
> program; it has built-in scheduling and tracking features. It already
> supports Mac and PC clients using TCP/IP; in a conversation with their tech
> support staff, I found out that at one point they had a Unix client,
> although I don't think it was ever marketed. I wish they would.

While Retrospect may be a good product it is a proprietary product and
it is fairly expensive.

Because it is proprietary it doesn't use the standard Unix rmt service
and requires yet more (turns out also not yet available) custom
software/license keys/conflicts/configuration/admin hassles, etc. on my
Unix system. A Mac backup application that uses the Unix rmt service
would be very simple to do.The actual backup application does not have
to have scheduling built in. Using the CronMgr (available for the Mac)
you could create any backup schedule your heart desires.

It would be nice if such a backup application would work similarly to
Unix's ufsdump (aka. dump) which writes the entire directory contents
info at the beginning of the tape rather than throughout (interspersed
between files). This would make it *very* easy to select and restore
individual files/directories without having to search the entire tape(s)
just to get a complete directory listing from which to select files or
directories to be restored.

If anyone is up to writing such an application I may even fund the
development.

---
Bob Atkins