Re: [netatalk-admins] a cold wind bloweth

Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] a cold wind bloweth
From: Les Barstow (lbarstow@entire.com)
Date: Wed May 26 1999 - 10:52:07 EDT

a sun wrote:

> hi all,
>
> i would like to feature freeze my latest snapshot and make sure that
> it's as bug-free(tm) as possible. so, here's what i would like:

Not sure if there's time for this, but:

PC MacLAN clients insist on uppercase for both printers and fileshares.
The printer problem is not extreme - only define uppercase printers.
The fileshare problem is partially solved with casefold.

However, a case-insensitive search would be nicer; two more options
for casefold - clientupper and clientlower - which would take files
from clients as given, but return all names to clients as upper or
lower case, respectively, would help with UNIX/Mac/PC interaction.

PS - How does a Mac deal with PC MacLAN? How does it serve mixed
     case and interact properly with this? The Mac is case insensitive,
     so it shouldn't have problems with requests, but what does the Mac
     do that works with PC MacLAN that netatalk doesn't, say for folder
     directories?

     I apologize for not being too familiar with the underlying Mac
     file structure on this; I'm a UNIX admin, with ProDOS and GS/OS
     as an Apple background for the most part...

Sincerely,
Les Barstow